Kenneth M. Peterson
Retired Principal Systems Engineer with extensive experience in the mathematical analysis of communication and radar systems. One of three engineers who invented the Iridium System. Strong background in mathematics and communication systems analysis with the ability to thrive in a team structure. Author or co-author of patents and publications. Ken has been supporting the FAA's Spectrum office in their analysis of the interference of the Lightsquared wideband network on reception of the GPS L1 signal. Functions well in marketing support role supplying theoretical systems engineering expertise.
Motorola Distinguished Innovator Award - 1993
Motorola Gold badge Award - 1996
Motorola Dan Noble Fellow Award - 1999
Aviation Week and Space Technology Aerospace Laureate Award - 1996
Iowa State University PACE Award - 1998
AIAA Aerospace Communications Award - 1998
FAA Spectrum office
- Ken developed a Mathematica simulation that models the aggregate pdf of multiple transmitters with respect to the GPS L1 band. These transmitters include cell phones, HDTV stations, and other significant emitters, such as Lightsquared ground stations.
Rockwell Collins Inc., Cedar Rapids, Iowa 2001- 2006
Principal System Engineer
- Researched the applicability of the MUSIC algorithm to provide geolocation capability in heavy multipath environments on company IR&D program
- Principal analyst on FCS-C communication program with DARPA
- Modeling and simulation of unique antenna positioner for Satcom-on-the-Move (SOTM) internal IR&D program
Motorola Inc., Phoenix, AZ 1984-2001
Lead Systems Engineer 2000- 2001
- Researched the availability of optical wireless communication links operating in fog, improving distance through which communication was possible above and beyond the visible distance by a factor ranging from 5 - 7 times.
- Co-developer of Motorola Labs website which permits evaluation of BER performance of many different FEC schemes including TCM.
- Analyzed the performance of WHISP communication links including BER and message delay associated with ARQ.
- Applied communication system expertise resulting in performance verification of TRITON chip for common base station program.
Motorola Advanced Systems Division 1989-2000
Lead Systems Engineer
- Concept development and analysis of communication subsystem for Teledesic Satellite System.
- One of three engineers who originated the Iridium System concept.
- Development of initial orbit for Iridium System.
- Development of cell management algorithms, channel assignment algorithms and system accessing approach for Iridium system.
- Flowdown of systems requirements for Iridium System.
Motorola Government Electronics Group 1984-1989
- One of two contributors to Phase II ( C ) architecture study funded by SDIO.
- Developed signal recognition algorithms for in-house IRAD program.
- Contributed to communications architecture concept for Space Based Laser Program
- Provided marketing support in new business acquisition.
National Analytic Services Corporation (NASC), Phoenix, AZ 1980-1984
- Vice President and head of marketing department. Company had contracts with the Naval Research Laboratory to model and simulate certain communication systems.
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 1980-1984
- Taught graduate course in complex variables and transform theory as well as undergraduate course on Z-transforms and Fourier transforms.
Motorola Inc., Phoenix, AZ 1971-1980
Magnavox Company, Urbana, IL 1968-1971
IIT Research Institute, Annapolis, MD 1968
Westinghouse Electric Corporation, Baltimore, MD 1961-1968
- Graduate Studies in Mathematics, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ
- M.S.E.E. University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- B.S.E.E. Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- M.S.E.E. University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
| ||Selected Patents|
| ||4,243,955||Regulated Suppressed Carrier Modulation System|
|5,017,925||Multiple Beam Deployable Space Antenna System|
|5,227,802||Satellite Systems Cell Management|
|5,161,248||Cell To Cell Handoffs For a Satellite Cellular Communication System|
|5,187,805||Telemetry, Tracking, and Control For Satellite Cellular Communication Systems|
|5,268,694||Communication System Employing Spectrum Reuse On A Spherical Surface|
|5,285,208||Power System Management For A Worldwide Satellite Communication System|
|5,367,304||Communication System Employing Spectrum Reuse On A Spherical Surface|
|5,410,728||Satellite Cellular And Data Communication System|
|5,499,237||Waste Cancelling Packet Routing System And Method|
|5,579,307||Packet Routing System And Method With Quasi-Real-Time Control|
|5,594,940||Statistically Robust Call Generator|
|5,604,920||Cellular/Trunked Roaming Global Satellite Telephone Communication System|
|5,625,868||Method And Apparatus For Load Sharing In a Satellite Communication System|
|5,739,784||Method And Beam Steering Apparatus For a Satellite Cellular Communication System|
|5,749,044||Centralized Dynamic Channel Assignment Controller And Method|
|5,805,574||Adaptive Switch Resource Allocation In A Satellite Communication System|
|5,826,189||Cellular Communication System With Efficient Channel Assignments And Method Thereof|
|6,043,920||Method And Apparatus For Laser Communication Through A Lossy Medium|
|6,157,681||Transmitter System And Method Of Operation Thereof|